In November, 2016 Apple announced that some of its customers’ iPhone 6S devices were plagued by a manufacturing defect that causes unexpected shutdown issues. Users reported that their iPhone 6S devices would shutdown for no apparent reason, even when the iPhone was indicating that there was enough battery power to continue operating the phone. If you have an iPhone 6S that is experiencing unexpected shutdown issues, here’s how you can get your iPhone fixed for free at one of 14 different Mobile Kangaroo stores in California.
The manufacturing defect leading to the unexpected shutdown of certain iPhone 6S devices is a problem with the iPhone’s battery, but fortunately, the problem is not a safety concern. Apple has stated that the problem is limited to certain iPhone 6S devices manufactured between September and October of 2015. If you own an iPhone 6S device that was manufactured during this time period, you are eligible for a free battery replacement regardless of whether or not you are experiencing unexpected shutdown issues with your iPhone.
Determine if You Qualify
To determine if your iPhone 6S qualifies for a free battery replacement you will need to find your iPhone’s serial number and enter the number into an online tool that Apple has created. Apple also offers instructions on how to locate your iPhone’s serial number.
How to get a Free Replacement Battery
If you have checked the serial number of your iPhone 6S and have determined that your iPhone qualifies for a free battery replacement, you have a couple of options for how to get your battery replaced:
- Apple Authorized Service Provider – You can take your eligible iPhone 6S into any Apple Authorized Service Provider (Apple ASP) to receive your free replacement battery repair. Apple ASPs are repair businesses that have been vetted and approved by Apple to legally service Apple products in accordance with Apple’s product warranties and standards. Mobile Kangaroo is an Apple ASP with 14 locations throughout California, and we welcome you to bring your iPhone to one of our stores where you’ll receive fast, friendly service, and of course, a new battery! Check out our ‘Locations’ page to find the store closest to you.
- Apple Retail Store – You can also take your eligible iPhone 6s into any Apple Retail Store for repair, but keep in mind that you may need to make an appointment ahead of time.
If you cannot determine determine if your iPhone qualifies for a free replacement battery, your best bet is to bring the phone to an Apple ASP or Apple Retail Store where technicians can make the determination for you.
Prepare your iPhone for Repair
In order to make sure that you do not lose precious data stored on your iPhone, make sure that you take the following steps before taking your eligible iPhone to be repaired:
- Backup all of your files to iCloud or iTunes.
- Turn off the option ‘Find my phone’ by going to Settings > iCloud, then tap to turn off Find My Phone
- Erase all of your settings and data – Go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase all Content and Settings.
Things to Note
If there is damage to your iPhone that prevents battery replacement, such as a cracked screen, this damage will have to first be repaired before you can receive your free battery replacement. Also note that the damage, such as a cracked screen, will not be covered by Apple under this replacement program. However, your screen damage may be eligible for repair under other Apple programs or warranties. If you are experiencing unexpected shutdown issues with your iPhone, or if you have any other problems with your iPhone, the best thing to do is to bring your phone to an Apple Authorized Service Provider to find out what your options are. At Mobile Kangaroo we are always standing by, ready to help you.